Sunday, February 26, 2006

Culture Vulture

The actual revelation struck me yesterday while eating at my new favorite restaurant, a yummy Jamaican restaurant. That being I want to belong to any community, and every community. Minus the no job, scrag smoking, drop out community that I was an honourary member of prior to my escape from the island.

An escape it truly was. The family members that could of helped me thought I could never afford to move away and scoffed of my grandiose plans to move the big city. My first thought in reaction to their comments was, "If 2 million people managed to make it there and survive, I am sure that the odds are in my favour." Allbeit I was apart of that lethargic community, but still, I wore a I'M NEW AND TRYING pin to gather the funds. It didn't look all talk no walk. Again, I have a point, which is: My community was about being lesser than everyone else. Reality meant you accept this as fact or your are an even bigger fool then you claim not to be.

So, now I find myself to be an identity chaser. I just enjoy everyone else's experience far more than my own. But, something has to motivate people to direct their lives to helping other people out. If not money, talent or lack of education to settle you into a career, what gives people the inclination to dedicate themselves to that niche? I guess for me it is trying to gain a broader perception than the narrow one I was born into. To me, the more perspectives I gather, the greater the inspiration which leaves me feeling a wealth of knowledge in the human experience. And if you at all believe in an after life, it would seem these are the things you can actually take with you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mischa said...

Development of your own personality is brought on by the outside influences that you surround yourself with, as well as an inborn intuition. Melding these together you find out who you are...even though for awhile it might seem that you are just being a cameleon. Those that venture too far away and try desperatly to become completely unique are just fooling themselves. They already are, they just don't see themselves properly. As long as you have in mind what you are and what you like (or are on the road to acheive answers to those questions) then it's all for the best. Lose yourself in other lives to make your own life more open. But remember: No matter where you go...there you are.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Mischa said...

I'm well aware that I am a poor speller and I'm okay with it.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Impulsivecompulsive said...

Very delayed reaction:

Nah, you aren't enjoying others experiences more than your own. Can you imagine how much it would suck to be in one little group, with one little group mentality, and no dissenting voice to make you think, "But hey, you're right, that is better..."
Let's face it, no one can always come up with the best answer/system/theory/restaurant. And the more groups you experience, the more you can pick and choose what is best for you, in any given situation.
Multi-grouping is a learning tool. Use it. Quit talking to me.
No, don't. Your the only one I know who has a car. Please don't leave me.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home